Dr. Jacquelyne Smalls is a licensed clinical psychologist with a breadth of clinical experience providing psychotherapy and psychological assessment for a variety of emotional and behavioral issues. She has worked with a diverse range of children, adolescents and families across multiple settings, including hospitals, schools, outpatient clinics, community mental health centers, and private practice. Her clinical experiences encompass helping individuals address mood disorders, behavior problems, interpersonal difficulties, stress management, and trauma/abuse experiences.
- Virginia Commonwealth University: Bachelor of Science in Psychology, 1994
- University of Denver: Masters in Clinical Psychology, 2000
- University of Denver: PsyD in Clinical Psychology, 2004
- Trinitas Hospital, Elizabeth, NJ completing clinical rotations in the Child/Adolescent Outpatient Clinic, Adult Outpatient Clinic, and Adult Partial Hospital Program, 2001-2002
- Licensed as a Psychologist in Virginia
POST DOCTORAL EXPERIENCE: Dr. Smalls has provided clinical treatment for children, families, and adults at the Alexandria Community Services Board/Mental Health Center. Within this community mental health setting, Dr. Smalls provided training for graduate level psychology students for the psychology externship program, and received intensive training in Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT).
- Individual therapy with children/adolescents and adults
- Play therapy
- Family therapy
- Parenting consultation
- IQ/School admissions testing
- Stress and adjustment difficulties
- Mood Disorders including anxiety and depression
- Family problems, parent child relationship problems
- Parenting Consultation
- Anger issues
- Behavior and social problems
Dr. Smalls works from an integrative therapeutic approach with a strong foundation in cognitive behavioral and family systems theories. She believes in partnering with clients to access natural resources and build on their strengths to enhance resiliency and make lasting changes in their lives. She has a strong passion for acknowledging and understanding the dynamic impact of multicultural and ethnic diversity issues in an individual’s life. She also believes in the utility of mindfulness practice and positive parenting approaches in the lives of many families.
Contact MindWell today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Smalls.